1 Timothy 4:1
1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Call them false religions, call them Christian cults, call them whatever you want to call them. We can argue all day, or till kingdom come about the authenticity of some churches and their doctrines; and we will never know the truth unless we ask ourselves two important questions.
1) What are doctrines of devils or what makes a doctrine, one of the devil?
2) What will make some people depart from the faith?
Let me ask you a question: if the devil was standing in the pulpit, what kinds of sermons will he preach? What types of doctrines will he bring into the church? This may sound strange but think about it, if the prince of the power of the air (See Ephesians 2:2) was working in a person, what would that person preach?
Ans: Doctrines that will keep members carnal, and that can lead to division in the church; doctrines that will keep the members enslaved in sin; doctrines that keep the body of Christ from knowing the true power of God; doctrines that magnify the devil; pagan worship and so on.
1. The world and everything in it makes members carnal and leads them into sin before they get to church.
2. As a result of this carnality, the word of God sounds like foolishness to them just as we are told in 1 Corinthians 2:14.
3. In this state, that is, where there is sin or where minds have been blinded (carnality), the true power of God can be hidden: parts of the bible that unlock His power are neglected.
4. Pagan worship and teaching that don\’t mature believers begin. The devil is magnified in the church and not the Trinity.
5. Deeper demonic doctrines are preached leading to false religions, cults and so on.
It is a process.They aren\’t preached in one day. Doctrines of devils come to turn the church into a place of indirect Satanic worship, and no one knows because, everyone in that church would have been blinded again and enslaved by sin: carnal, unsaved and for some demon controlled.
The letters to the seven churches in Revelation 1:19-3:22, will give you a better understanding of the process and how it has taken place in some churches today. Paul\’s letter to the Colossians also give us an idea of things in the church that keep members from maturing and overcoming sin (Colossians 2:16-23).
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. (Colossians 2:16-23)
Finally let us say a prayer today for all preachers and leaders who have been overcome by the evil one. Jesus Christ is the head of the church and since he can\’t and couldn\’t be stopped—was without sin, the next target is our leaders, preachers and all those in authority.